History of Park Place
About Scottish Rite
Today's Park Place was known as "Scottish Rite." The building is a splendid example of Egyptian architecture, advantageously situated at the corner of N.W. Third Street and N.W. North River Drive, within minutes of the Downtown Miami business district. Completed in 1924, at a cost of $350,000 including the land, it is an imposing edifice covering the majority of five lots overlooking the Miami River on one side, and Lummus Park on the other. The building conveniently has two entrances on Third Street, and one on North River Drive.
Rising three stories tall with four Doric columns on the Third Street side, it is beautifully embellished and the Ziggurat-shaped mass of the roof capped by a cupola is quite striking when viewed from the river. A broad flight of steps leads up to a portico with four large columns extending majestically to the top of the building, through which the main entrance opens into a spacious foyer and lounge.
The auditorium, originally used as a silent movie theater (complete with a Skinner Pipe Organ), has two main balconies and two smaller balconies over the side corridors, with a combined seating capacity of 1,000 people. The stage is large enough to accommodate extensive theatrical productions and is equipped with all necessary equipment including a complete electrical switchboard to control all of the lighting effects